REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
Republic of Tajikistan
Project Management Group
under the President of the Republic of Tajikistan (Rogun PMG)
Assignment Title: Hydrology, Sedimentation, & Water Resources Expert and Engineering/Dam Safety and Environmental and Social Panels of Experts
Reference No. (as per Procurement Plan): RHPP/CS/IC/5
The Republic of Tajikistan has applied for financing from the World Bank towards the cost of the Technical Assistance for Financing Framework for Rogun Hydropower Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services of Hydrology, Sedimentation, & Water Resources Expert and Engineering/Dam Safety and Environmental and Social Panels of Experts
.The main task to be carried out by theHydrology, Sedimentation, and Water Resources Expert for the E&S Panel will include: (a) the visit to Rogun HPP construction site familiarize with the project; (b) review draft outputs by the consultant to be appointed by Rogun PMG and Rogun JSC to update the existing E&S documents for the construction and operations phases; (c) provide specific technical advice to Rogun PMG, to the Employer’s Representative, to contractors through the Rogun PMG and Rogun JSC on additional measures that may be needed to ensure satisfactory performance and compliance with applicable requirements, etc.
The Hydrology, Sedimentation, and Water Resources Expert is also expected to serve on the Engineering/Dam Safety Panel, and will provide the following support: review design documents on the hydrological and sedimentation aspects, including those resulting from glacial lake outburst floods, review report on the adequacy of hydrometeorological monitoring instruments, including their numbers, locations, monitoring frequency, and reports that present the resulting data and interpretation, review assessment of impact of climate change on future operation and possible mitigation measure, etc.
The Terms of Reference for the assignment can be found at the following link:
- Advanced degree (Master’s or Doctorate) in Hydrology, Hydrologic Engineering, Water Resources Management, or other relevant technical field. Specialization in quantitative and qualitative modeling would be an advantage.
- At least twenty-five (25) years of experience in relevant professional works, including having worked as a hydrologic expert on three (3) large dam projects.
- At least fifteen (15) years of experience in preparing and managing the preparation of hydrologic and sedimentation studies and ESIAs for large scale dams and hydropower projects that meet the requirements of the World Bank (either the World Bank Safeguard Policies or the newer ESF) and/or other international financial institutions, and good international industry practice.
- Experience in incorporating climate change assessments into the design of at least one large hydropower project.
- At least ten (10) years of experience in preparing and implementing technical aspects of environmental and social management and mitigation plans for large hydropower projects.
- At least ten (10) years of experience in directly participating in designing and operating large hydropower project(s)
- At least ten (10) years of experience in projects that have complied with the recommendations of the International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD) with regard to design and other hydrologic studies, preconstruction evaluations, safety margins, and other studies, and in-depth knowledge of ICOLD. Having participated in one or more ICOLD Technical Committees would be an advantage.
- At least one previous experience as a POE member on a large dam project.
- In-depth knowledge and experience with the implementation of the World Bank ESF, the World Bank Group General Environmental, Health, and Safety Guidelines (EHSG), and/or other international financial institutions, and with good international industry practice, in particular the former World Bank Operational Policy 4.37, Safety of Dams, which has been subsumed into the ESF (Annex 1 of ESS4), and Operational Policy 7.50, Projects on International Waterways.
- Successful experience working on teams of senior professionals, including integrating findings and developing actionable recommendations.
- Fluency in spoken and written English required, fluency in Russian and/or Tajik would be an advantage.
- Willingness to provide references who will attest to past performance
The Projects Management Group for Energy Facilities Construction under the President of the Republic of Tajikistan now invites eligible individual consultants to express their interest in providing the services. Interested Consultants must provide information indicating that they are qualified to perform the services (CV, copy of documents evidencing appropriate qualifications and skills, experience and competence related to the task, description of similar tasks performed, references, etc.).
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” July 2016 and revised November 2017, August 2018, and November 2020 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the selection of Individual Consultants (IC) method set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
Interested Consultants may obtain further information at the address below during office hours 09:00 to 17:00 hours of Dushanbe/Tajikistan time.
CVs must be delivered to the address below by September 2 , 2022 (17:00 p.m.).
Attn: Mr. Pulod Muhiddiniyon
Projects Management Group for Energy Facilities Construction
under the President of the Republic of Tajikistan
5/1 Shamsi str., 6 th floor, 734064, Dushanbe
Tel.:(+992 37) 235 74 17